Remember the new post are at the top,so read from the bottom up it won't take long to catch up.

Click on the photo's to enlarge then.

Please feel free to leave a comment.




Thursday 7 January 2010

The wonders of the Internet

There are a few things that make me think i really couldn't live without that,but what i have learn't since coming over here is SKYPE is the best thing i have come across since, well i don't know when.I just couldn't imagine being so far away from my family and not being able to talk and see so freely for as long as i like for the massive cost of FREE,it has been my lifeline here, it has kept me in contact with everyone, even the mother in law has spoken to me on it (maybe its not that great after all )Lol.I set my alarm early christmas morning to see my Family open their presents which helped me through that time alone.My wife's aunty emigrated to Canada in 1963 how she managed it is beyond me without all the ways of coummunication we have today.Anyone thinking of moving away from loved ones etc this is a nessesacity to keep in touch.
I Have purchaese a prepaid mobile phone for Canada and looking for info on the best and cheapest ways ways to accept calls from skype back in the Uk any info on how you are staying in contact or did stay in contact with the UK via phone etc would be a massive help this being for Canada and the USA. I will post the comments on here for others to help them in their quest to keep in touch.
Thanks

3 comments:

  1. I also used Skypeout via Skype on the laptop, registered it in the UK ( but you can register anywhere)and it was £5.96 a month which enabled us to call (using the lappy) friends and family across the world from wherever we were, it was great to be able to call people in Canada, USA, Portugal and the Uk who didn't have pc's.
    It cost a few pence to call a landline anywhere! and you can even call to mobiles.

    We've been back in UK since June and I still have £3.00 credit left even though I cancelled it a few months back, so I will call our cousin in NY for about 70 pence an hour.

    Didn't bother with a Phone in Canada...a complete and utter rip-off, but got a Net10 phone (with all the accesories) from Walmart USA to use in emergencies, cost $30 but that includes $30 talk time, so it is free really.
    Can only be used from the USA at 10c a min, or 15c for international calls.

    Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get a Presidents Choice pre-paid long distance phone card from Save-easy. They can be used anywhere in Canada and the US, and calls to the UK are dirt cheap. Lots of truckstops have phones at every table, so it's great to call home while waiting for your food.

    If you want to use skype out on the road, you need to find places with wi-fi. Some Irving Big-stops in the Maritimes have free wi-fi, and Flying J truckstops have wi-fi, but you have to pay ($5 a day or $35 a month). Dysarts truckstop in Maine has free wi-fi and some roadside rest areas do to. All McDonalds, lots of hotels and some businesses have wireless internet, so park as close as you can to the building and try it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi garv,
    Whats ur Skype name ?
    Mine is tonytaylor477

    TT

    ReplyDelete