Remember the new post are at the top,so read from the bottom up it won't take long to catch up.

Click on the photo's to enlarge then.

Please feel free to leave a comment.




Friday 19 February 2010

Calgary to Edmonton

The last time i was in Calgary was last summer when we flew over to visit my wifes cousins who lived there at the time,what a contrast in weather it was about 90 odd degrees then,this time well it was bloody freezing with snow.I made it to the flying J truckstop for a big scrub up after the pig incident,to say i was minging was a bit of an understatement and anyone who knows me knows that i like to keep very clean, i cant wear the same clothes twice even if they have been on for a couple of minutes, i even get back into the shower because i feel that im not clean enough (i know im very strange)and this leaves a very big washing pile.I could quite easily have 3 showers a day but as this would become quite costly, most truckstops charge you $10 a throw,unless you have a loyalty card which you can use when you are fueling etc, in which you can redeem things such as showers, so if you work it right you can get a least one free shower a day.Remember to keep all receipts as you can claim the cost of these back off your tax at the end of the year.So im sat there all clean and i have met up with another one our drivers for a bit of dinner and a chin wag before i got a little sleep.I had to do 2 deliverys very early in the morning ,1 in Calgary and 1 in Edmonton which is about 200 mile north of Calgary,4 pallets dropped and off i set of up heighway 2 this was where the fun started,its snowing like mad i can't see the heighway then the fog decended on me, i couldn't see 10 feet in front of me so i reduced my speed to about 55mph, this being a bit slow for other drivers behind as they kept coming past me as if im parked up,which sort of made my path a bit easier as i could follow in there tracks well for a bit anyway.I like to think im a pretty good sensible driver i know what my limits are and i don't get paid enough to drive like a mad man in this weather, unfortunately for a couple of the trucks that had flown past me they obvisously didn't realise thet were out of there depth,about 10 miles up they road there were 2 of them who had just passed me jack knifed in the big central median.I think they will be a little late for there delivery now.This journey seem to take forever, by the time i hit the city limits i was struggling to keep my eyes open, thus missing a turning and ending up well i didn't know.Eventually i made it to my delivery point, onto a bay straight away and tipped within 1/2 hour,first job truckstop then shower, sleep.I had my 10 hrs of then i got a message to reload back out of Calgary for Winnipeg so off i trotted,i was greeted with please drop your tralier and come back later a time was discussed and off i went happy.My delivery in winnipeg was for 3am friday morning, which after a little working out meant i could get to moosomin sk, take 10 hrs off then reach my delivery point on time which i did,i was told that they would give me a shout in a little while, so of to sleep i went.Eventually tipped a few hrs later, i headed off to Headingly Flying j for yep another shower some breakfast and a hot cup of tea,while i wait for another load to take me further back east i need to get back for next thursday as my wife flys in that evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment